Recently I made palak/Spinach Rice again and as I had boiled Chickpeas with me, added it before adding the rice. It turned out awesome, making this Palak Channa Pulav a power packed lunch for the 3 of us that day.
Spinach / Palak is healthy for sound body and mind. It has high nutritional value, especially when fresh, frozen, steamed, or quickly boiled. On the other hand Chickpeas are a nutrient dense food, providing rich content of protein, dietary fiber, iron and phosphorus vitamin B6, magnesium and zinc.
Mature chickpeas can be cooked and eaten cold in salads, cooked in stews, ground into a flour called gram flour. Chickpeas and Bengal grams are used to make curries and are one of the most popular vegetarian foods in the Indian Subcontinent.
Spinach and Chickpea are healthier and filled with all the vitamins.. A perfect for one-pot lunch box recipe.
An unusual but amazing combination indeed a mix and match of veggies and Chickpea.
– Clean the Spinach, retain tender stems. Soak the spinach and stems in water for 15-20 minutes. Strain water completely.
– Wash rice under running cold water till water runs clear. And soak for 15-20 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
– Roughly chop and put into a mixer along with green chillies, ginger and garlic into the mixer and grind to a fine paste using little water.
– Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
– Now add in the tomatoes and saute for 30 seconds on high heat.
– Add in the Spinach Puree and garam masala powder. Mix well.
– Let it cook till all the moisture evaporates and it starts to leave the side of the pan. Stir in between.
– Add the cooked chickpeas and stir well.
– Then add soaked and drained rice. And mix well.
– Add the 2 Cups of water and allow to come to a boil.
– Close the lid and cook for 1 whistle.
– Once the pressure is released, Open the lid and mix it gently and serve with raitha of your choice or just simple Curd.
– You can use kala channa also instead of the White channa
– You can cook this in the open Pan method also.
– In that case, cook the rice before(can use Basmathi rice as well).
– Heat oil in a wok, add the onions and tomatoes and saute till soft, add the Spinach Puree (follow step mentioned above)and allow to cook till it leaves sides.
– Add the garam masala powder and cooked chick pea, mix well.
– Add in the cooked rice and mix.
– Mix Gently and serve with Raitha of your choice.