Dum Aloo or Alu Dum belongs to Kashmiri cuisine to be specific. Although there are different varieties of Dum Aloo…like the Punjabi Dum Aloo which is less spicy and has a tangy tomato flavor..In the Kashmiri, the potatoes, usually smaller ones, are first deep fried, then cooked slowly at low flame in a gravy with spices.
However, here we have cooked in the healthier way by using the cooked baby potatoes and also using less oil in the overall gravy as well.
– Grind onion, Green chilly and cashew nuts to a fine paste and keep aside.
– In a bowl add curd and dilute a bit. Now add coriander powder, chilly powder and garam masala powder. Mix well and keep aside.
– Boil the baby potatoes in cooker for 1 whistle. Peel the skin and prick 2-4 times on that with a help of a fork.
– Heat oil in a pan, when hot add cumin seeds, whole masala’s and saute till a nice aroma comes.
– Add onion paste and ginger-garlic paste. Cook till it changes colour and seems roasted.
– Add the curd mixture now and give a good stir.
– Add 1/2 glass of water and the potatoes into it. Mix.
– Cover and allow to cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
– Garnish it with coriander leaves.
– Serve it hot with your choice of parantas, roti or even with puris.