Usually we all make Upma with lots of veggies, however at my mom’s place, we make it putting a single vegetable too. We use just grated carrot or only Capsicum, or just green peas, or greens like Dill leaves or just simple coriander.
Made this for breakfast on last Saturday. Although my little one loves Upma, he did not like my idea of making Capsicum Upma as he doesn’t like capsicum. After a stare, he ate this without much fuss.
– Dry Roast the semolina/rava till light brown and set aside.
– Heat a heavy bottom vessel, add the mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
– Now add in oil and once hot, add the peanuts and saute till they change colour slightly about 30-40 seconds.
– Next add in the channa and urad dals. Sauté till they change colour.
– Add in the onions and green chillies along with the curry leaves. Sauté till onion is translucent.
– In the mean while keep 2 Cups of water in another vessel to boil.
– Add in the Capsicum and sugar (if using) and Salt to taste. Sauté on high for 1 minute.
– Add in the grated coconut and roasted Semolina/Rava.
– Mix well. Simmer.
– Add the 2 cups boiling water we had kept before into the rava mixture. Mix well.
– Cover and allow the rava to absorb the water completely about 5-7 minutes.
– Open lid, add chopped coriander (if using) and mix well.
– Serve hot. Goes well with Chutney or Mango Pickle.
– You can substitute Peanuts with Cashew nuts for a rich variety.