Bansi Rava Upma is a healthy breakfast option. It is also called Lapsi, Broken Wheat or Samba Godumai. Usually we dry roast the rava in making upma, however, we don’t need to roast this rava.
We make Upma in a few different varieties using Rava, Fine Rava, Bansi Rava, Rice Rava and so on… My mom makes all these varieties, though I usually make this using the normal Rava…I have started making this now a days. Will also post the Rice Rava Upma soon…
My son was happy to hear that we were making upma during the weekend for breakfast, he insists on being served with a difference…so made this Smiley face for him. He is eating this for the first time..so I didn’t want him to make fuss about this new type.
– Heat a heavy bottom vessel, add the mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
– Now add in oil and once hot, add the peanuts and saute till they change colour slightly about 30-40 seconds.( You can see the
– Next add in the channa and urad dals. Sauté till they change colour.
– Add in the onions and green chillies along with the curry leaves. Sauté till onion is translucent.
– In the mean while keep the 2 Cups of water in another vessel to boil.
– Add in the Capsicum and sugar (if using) and Salt to taste. Sauté on high for 1 minute.
– Add in the grated coconut and roasted Semolina/Rava.
– Mix well. Simmer.
– Add the boiling water we had kept before into the rava mixture. Mix well.
– Cover and allow the rava to absorb the water completely about 5-7 minutes in simmer.
– Open lid, add chopped coriander and grated coconut (if using) and mix well.
– Serve hot. Goes well with Chutney or Mango Pickle.
– You can substitute Peanuts with Cashew nuts for a rich variety.
– When we add boiling water to the rava mixture and mix instantly, the lumps will not be formed.