At my mom’s place this sambar with Onion Greens/Onion stem is made regularly with different combinations during the winter season when the fresh onions are produced. It is cooked along with Brinjal or Drumsticks and some times even alone.
I don’t get fresh Onion Stems here in Kochi, however, when ever I find them, I make this Sambar for sure. Miss those days when we enjoyed sipping juice from Onion Stems.
– Cook Toor dal along with turmeric powder in 1 1/2 cup water till soft (if using pressure cooker – cook for 2 whistles – 1 on high and 1 on low). Mash the dal lightly.
– Add the onion and tomato to the cooked dal along with tamarind pulp, sambar powder and salt (Add slightly less as we will be adding some while cooking the onion stem as well)
– Wash and chop the Onion Stems to 2 inch pieces.
– In a small heavy bottom vessel, add 1/2 cup water and the the onion stems along with little salt. Cook till the onion stems are soft. Add this to the cooked dal.
– Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard, then add curry leaves to it. Add this to the cooked dal.
– Add the grated coconut and the coriander leaves.
– Boil the mixture for 5 minutes on medium flame before serving.
– Enjoy with white rice.