This is basically a combination of dal with Palak or Spinach with Garlic. It tastes great with both roti and rice.
I make this with both Toor dal and Moong dal separately and also mixing both of them also.
I love to have it with hot steamed rice and ghee.
– Wash and soak dal for 15-20 minutes.
– Pressure cook dal with a pinch of turmeric powder for 2 whistles.
– Mash the dal and keep aside.
– Clean the Spinach by discarding any thick stem and washing the leaves. Chop them finely.
– Wash, discard the thick stem and chop spinach finely.
– Boil water and add the chopped spinach to it. Blanch for 3-4 minutes. Strain and retain water.
– Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin and mustard seeds. Allow spluttering.
– Add onions, ginger, garlic and green chili and saute till onion changes colour.
– Add tomato, turmeric powder, chili powder and cook till tomatoes are mushy.
– Add in the cooked dal and spinach and season with salt. Mix well and bring to boil.
– Serve hot with rice or chapati/roti.
– I had not used tomatoes in my dal while cooking.