I usually make the Carrot Rice, which my son had told me. I didn’t have carrots and thought of substituting this with cabbage which I had at home on that day. I slightly modified the Carrot Rice recipe. It was yummy and my son loved it. I had packed this for his lunch and he loved it so much that he insisted on having the same for dinner..I had to cook it again for his dinner too.
Here goes this yummy recipe.
– Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes.
– Pressure Cook rice with 4 Cups water and few drops of oil for 2 whistles.
– Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, allow spluttering.
– Then add the Urad dal, Channa dal, cashew nuts, peanuts(if using) and fry till slightly golden brown.
– Now add the onions and sauté till they become crunchy.
– Then add in the chopped cabbage and sauté for 1-2 minutes on high heat.
– Add in the sambar masala, red chili powder & turmeric powder along with salt. Sauté for a minute.
– Mix in the cooked rice.
– Serve along with/without raitha.
– I have used the short grain variety – Sona Masoori here. This can be cooked with Basmathi Rice as well.
– Can be made with left over rice as well.