Papri’s are crisp fried dough wafers flavoured with carom seeds.
This can be served as a evening snack or made into a lip smacking Papri Chat, a North-Indian chat.
– In a bowl, mix in the all purpose flour/Maida and carom seeds and salt. Add the ghee and rub throughtly.
– Add water little at a time and knead into a firm but smooth dough.
– Cover with a wet cloth and leave aside for 15 minutes. Do not knead too much.
– Divide the dough into lemon size balls and roll it out into a big circle dusting a little flour.
– Prick holes all over the circle using a fork. This will prevent the Papri from puffying up like Puri’s while deep frying them.
– Using a cookie cutter or a cap of a bottle/snack box, cut into small circles.
– Remove the extra dough from the sides of the circles, shape it to a ball and repeate the process.
– Keep all the circles ready in a plate dusted with flour.
– Heat oil for deep fry in a kadai. Reduce flame to low and deep fry the discs in batches till golden brown on both sides.
– Remove to a kitchen towel or napkin to drain the excess oil. Repeat the process for the rest of the papdi.
– After it cools, store in an airtight container.