Also called Nai Chor, this is a very simple and easy to cook one pot recipe which is great to be packed for a lunch box.
This usually needs a spicy gravy to go along like the Chicken curry, vegetable Korma, Egg Korma etc.
I have not used any whole spices in this recipe as my son doesn’t like getting them while eating. Instead I have used Garam Masala.
– Soak Basmati rice in water for 15 minutes, drain the water and keep it aside.
– Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. A
– Add Onions and Ginger-Garlic paste.
– Saute till onion is translucent about 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
– Add the Ghee and the drained rice and fry on high flame for 3-4 minutes stirring continuously till rice grains are opaque.
– Add the boiling water and salt.
– Add the garam masala powder and mix well.
– Bring to a boil and close the pressure cooker.
– Switch off after 1 whistle.
– When the pressure is released, fluff the rice carefully with a fork.
– Serve hot with any spicy gravy and raitha of your choice.
– Instead of the oil, you can add 2 Tbsp of Ghee/Clarified butter..gives a better taste. (I usually cut down on Ghee and use a mixture of oil and ghee where-ever possible)
– You can add a few mint leaves along with rice and cook.
– You can fry cashew nuts and raisins in ghee and garnish it. (I have not added as my son does not like it).
– You can garnish it with some fried onions slices.