My mom’s native, Doddaballapur is famous for Silk Saree weaving. Its also famous for those mouthwatering varieties of Chitranna’s they make. My mom herself makes so many varieties of Chitranna.
This is one just variety which I love to have.
– Wash clean and soak the rice for 15 minutes. Cook the rice with 4 Cups of water. When done remove on a flat plate and cool completely.
– in the mean while, make a fine paste of Cinnamon stick, clove, Coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, coriander powder, fresh coconut and green chillies.
– Cut the Onion into slightly thick slices.
– Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
– Add Peanuts and fry for 30 seconds on medium flame, then add the channa dal and fry till color changes slightly.
– Add Onions and fry till translucent.
– Add in turmeric powder and the curry leaves and stir fry for 30 more seconds.
– Now add the paste and fry till the oil starts to separate on the sides.
– Add salt to taste.
– Add this mixture to the rice and mix thoroughly.
– Serve with or without Chutney or Curds.