This is an other variety that my friends in Kochi gave me.
– Pick, wash and soak rice and urad dal separately for at-least 6-8 hours.
– Drain water and grind urad dal and cooked rice along with salt to a smooth paste using water.
– Drain water and grind the rice to a coarse to smooth paste with as little water as possible.
– Now mix both the grinded rice and dal mixture together into a batter.
– Place the vessel in a warm place and allow the batter to ferment overnight (atleast 8-9 hours).
– Idly’s are ready to be cooked when the batter is well fermented.
– Grease the idle plate and pour the batter into each mold. Also small bowls can be used.
– Place it in a pressure cooker without the weights with little water underneath.
(Attention: If lots of water is used the Idly’s in the last plate become sloggy and too litte water will burn the bottom of the cooker.)
– Steam cook idly’s on medium flame for about 6-7 minutes or until done.
– Use a butter knife/spoon dipped in water to remove the idly’s .
– Cool them for 1-2 minutes and then serve them with sambar or chutney.
Makes 35-40 Idly’s depending on the idly mold size.
– Use the water used for soaking the rice to grind the batter.