In this particular variety, we are using different vegetables. Try this…you don’t need to cook a separate side dish as this already contains so many veggies.
½ Cup Toor Dal
1 Cup Mixed Vegetables (Carrot, Beans, Capsicum, Cauliflower, Peanuts, Brinjal etc.)
¼ Tsp Turmeric powder
1 Tsp Tamarind pulp
1 – 1 ¼ Tsp Sambar Powder (Can also use Red Chillies powder and coriander powder instead)
1 Tsp Grated Coconut (Optional)
¼ Tsp Mustard
5-6 Curry Leaves
1 Tbsp Coriander leaves (Optional)
1 Tsp Jaggery/Sugar
Salt to taste
1 Tsp Oil
– Cook Toor dal and peanuts along with turmeric powder in 1 1/2 cup water till soft (if using pressure cooker – cook for 2 whistles – 1 on high and 1 on low). Mash the dal lightly.
– Cook vegetables separately with little salt.
– Add tamarind pulp, sambar powder, salt and the cooked vegetables to the cooked dal.
– Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard, then add curry leaves to it. Add this to the cooked dal.
– Add the grated coconut and the coriander leaves.
– Boil the mixture for 5-8 minutes.
– Enjoy with white rice.