Green Gram – 1 cup
Onion 1 Medium – Finely chopped
Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dhal – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Green Chillies/ Dry Red Chilly – 2 – Slit to half
Curry leaves – 5-6
Fresh Coriander 2-3 Tbsp – Finely Chopped
Asafetida – a generous pinch
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
– Clean and wash the green gram and soak it in warm water for about 1 hour.
– In a pressure cooker add green gram and salt along with 1 ¼ cup of water and cook for 1 whistle on medium heat. Don’t overcook.
– Decant any excess water and set aside.
– Heat up the oil and add the mustard seeds, urad dhal and asafetida. Allow spluttering of mustard seeds.
– Add Onion, chillies and curry leaves and stir fry.
– Add the coconut and coriander and the cooked gram stir for a minute.
– Mix in the cooked gram and stir well for a few minutes. Serve hot.