This dish has the goodness of both Soya chunks and that of green gram.It makes a superb one-pot lunch or a dinner recipe.
Soya and green gram is cooked along with rice on dum in sealed pots which makes for an excellent healthy alternative and not to mention flavourful too.
250 g Basmati Rice
100 g Cholia (fresh green gram)
250 ml Water (for boiling rice)
20 nos Soya bean chunks
1 Big Onions (Thick Slices)
2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 Bay leaf
10 Black Peppercorn
1 Cinnamon 1″ long
2 Green Chillies (slit)
3 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Oil
– Pick, wash and soak rice for half an hour.
– Boil water and add salt. Remove from fire and drop in soya bean chunks for 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess water from the soya chunks and keep aside.
– Heat oil in a heavy bottom vessel.
– Add bay leaf, cumin seeds, cloves, peppercorn and cinnamon. Once they splutter, add onions and green chillies slit and sauté until onion turns light brown.
– Add the Soya chunks and green gram to the pan along with salt and saute for 2 minutes.
– Add rice and water and let it boil.
– Once half the water is evaporated, turn the heat low and cover with tight-fitting lid.
– Cook for another 8 minutes and turn off heat. Let it rest in this position for another 10 minutes.
– Remove lid and serve hot with raitha of your choice.
– Dry green gram can be used instead of the fresh ones. Make sure that they are soaked in water for atleast 4-5 hours.
– This dish can be made in a pressure cooker also. Cover the lid of the pressure cooker once the water boils and allow 1-2 whistles.
-Do not stir the rice at any point, as it can break. The water added to rice is always dependent on the quality of rice and the length of time you soak it for.