There are many varieties of Coconut rice. This is an unique one-pot recipe which is healthy and tasty. This is a blend of Channa Dal, Rice and grated coconut. Great for a holiday brunch.
¾ Cup Channa Dal
1¼ Cup Rice (I have used Sona Masuri Rice)
Coconut: One half of a whole coconut (can use the whole coconut if the size is small)
½ tsp Mustard seeds
½ tsp Cumin seeds
½ tsp Urad Dal
2 Whole Red chilli
4-5 Curry leaves
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp Oil
4-5 Cups Water
– Soak the Channa dal for one hour & rice for 15 minutes before cooking.
– Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, red chilli and curry leaves in to it. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the soaked chana dal and rice and mix the ingredients well.
Add adequate water, but see to it that you add only as much water the whole mixture needs to cook.
– Add salt and grated coconut. Put the lid on the vessel and allow it to cook for 10 minutes. – After 10 minutes, mix the ingredients well and see how well cooked the chana and rice are. If you feel it will get ready by another five to 10 minutes, then allow the entire thing to cook in a low flame. Add another two spoons of oil at the same time. Let it settle for a while.
– If you want to cook it in a pressure cooker, it will taste equally better. But add less water than what you would have if you were cooking in a vessel.
– Serve the hot coconut rice with raitha of your choice.